Make your own free website on

Custom Window Treatments & Home Decor

Glossary Terms

About Us
Our Services
Glossary Terms
Contact Us
FREE Quote


Austrian Shade – A light-weight curtain fabric, when pulled up with a cord, gathers into soft scallops. Balloon shades are similar in design but have a softer, more billowy appearance.(See example)


Balloon Shade - Similar to an Austrian shade, but with additional shirring between the tapes, which gives the shade a much fuller look when lowered.(See example)


Balloon Valance – These valances are in a category by themselves. They are light and airy in appearance. Since the valance does not go up or down, poufs can be made fluffy with tissue paper. (See example)


Bishop Sleeves – One of the more formal styles of draperies consisting of long side panels tied back or twice and then poofed for a classic look. (See example)


Box Pleated Valance – These may be either straight or shaped along the bottom edge, producing a trim, tailored look.

 (See example)


Café - Café draperies are usually found in a kitchen or bathroom, with two sections, a top and a bottom, which are hung on two separate rods.


Cornice – A solidly constructed treatment, usually of wood. They are shaped in different styles, padded and covered with fabric. Cornices are attached above the window to cover the shade or curtain top and rod.(See example)


Curtain – A stationary or hand-drawn window treatment, that is usually unlined. It has a casing at the top through which a rod is inserted.


Drapery – Long panels usually made from medium to heavy weight fabric and lined. Draperies often have a pleated heading, which is opened and closed by a cord or track system.

(See example)


Finial - Ornamental hardware used to decorate the ends of drapery or curtain rods or poles, finials may be simple brass spheres or wood tips or be custom-made to fie a particular window theme.


Gathered Valance – These are the most common of all top treatments and they can be formal or casual depending on their shape and fabric. The simplest valance is made by gathering a fabric sleeve over an extra-wide rod. A traditional gathered valance consists of short drapery, usually made to match gathered draperies below.


Hourglass curtain – A curtain stretched between two sash rods then tied at the center to give it the shape of an hourglass.(See example)


Jabot – Short, stationary vertical side panels that drapes down on either side of a swag or valance.(See example)


Lambroquin - A wooden frame built across the top of a window and down its sides to the floor. Usually covered in fabric and is intended to make a window appear larger or adds architectrual interest.


Pinch Pleats – A style of draperies where the heading is a basic pleat that is divided into two or three smaller equal pleats.(See example)


Rod Pocket – This drapery has a stitched pocket at the top that is gathered, or shirred on a rod. When a rod pocket is gathered at both the top and bottom, it is called a sash or an hour glass.(See example)


Roman Shade – A medium-weight fabric shade that is raised and lowered by cords  accordian-like with horizontal pleats resulting in a neat but stiff folded cover.  (See example)


Sash Curtains – A stationary rod-pocket curtain, which is usually sheer and uses both a top and bottom rods and fits closely to he glass of a window or door.


Scarf – A no sew top treatment in which a length of fabric is draped or tied over a rod or brackets.(See example)


Shades – are a top treatment either applied to a board or rod that can be stationary or can be movable vertically. They are usually used as a privacy treatment and can be decorated in fabrics in many ways. (See example)


Swag – Gracefully curved fabric that is softly shaped, looped or simply draped across the top of a window or used over draperies, blinds or sometimes alone. It can be folded to hide hardware or loosely draped to show off decorative poles. Swags should always be lined to add body and fullness to the treatment. (See example)


Tab Draperies – Tabs make a neat, tailored alternative to the rod pocket style. Matching or contrasting tabs sewn to the top of each drapery panel slip easily over decorative rod, creating gentle folds. 


Tails – The vertical extensions of a swag that hangs at it outer edges.


Tieback – A decorative cord or fabric piece used to hold an opened drapery panel away from the window.(See example)


Valance – A top treatment, usually constructed like a short curtain, which conceals the top of a drapery or curtain and its hardware. Gives a finished look to a window treatment. Valances can be wide, straight edged, or scalloped and usually hung from the wall about 4 inches out. They can also have drapery panels or shades hung behind them. Made from wood, fabric alone or a fabric-covered board.  (See example)




"We Can Turn Your Ideas Into a Beautiful Reality!"